Monday, August 01, 2005

i voted for bush

i just found out that i'm a flaming liberal feminist. i'm always a little amused to find out how people perceive me (i tend to keep to myself, which means people end up drawing their own conclusions), but i have to say this one has come as quite a surprise.

somewhere between high school and now, i stopped being ultra-conservative. i know that. living and traveling in europe helped me to question some of my presuppositions and try to see the validity in the 'other side.' i know that, too. and i started to really love the unique voice that women have--the beauty and the strength--and i've wanted to hear it expressed more. i long to see men honor women by encouraging and validating their voices.

but i didn't know that all of these things added up to being a flaming liberal feminist. here's how i found out: i started hanging out with a guy who works for the united states secret service. he carries a gun. he wears body armor. he protects the white house. and as i've started telling people about him, they're shocked. really. several people have implied that his job surely must clash with all of my ideals. as liberal as i (apparently) am, it doesn't seem possible that i would be comfortable with someone who works for The Man.

there are many layers of irony here, but the one i find most humorous is that i actually voted for bush. there were several extra-political reasons that i did, but none of the political ramifications were strong enough for me to decide not to vote for him. and i'll be honest--i've kind of resented the fact that i've had to keep that on the DL. i'm not saying that i'm 100% behind everything bush does. there's a lot that i don't agree with. but aside from the politics, i resent the fact that i lose cool points because of the way i voted. i am absolutely against the idea that to be christian is to be republican. that is anathema to me. (i went to a church the sunday before july 4 where they sang patriotic songs instead of hymns and preached on why the constitution is worthy of respect. i had to dig my fingernails into the pews in order to avoid jumping up and screaming. this is the first time in four years that i've been in the states for the fourth, and the whole thing was so strange. can i just point out how appropriate it is that our major national holiday is a celebration of independence? bullheaded american independence. we will depend on no one.) but i don't think the solution is to vote against the 'moral majority' to maintain edginess.

so this is my public confession: i voted for bush. twice.

you may now think less of me. but i warn you: if you think less of me for this, i will probably think less of you.

6 Comments:

At 2:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amen! I feel the same way. Just because I talk about third world debt and remembering the poor does not make me a liberal. I mean I did consider myself a Democrat until 1996. The party left me I feel.

Anyway, you never fooled me!

Jerry

 
At 2:28 PM, Blogger michelle said...

i didn't really think either of you would be confused.

here's another side of the amusement: as soon as i told my extended family about my secret service officer, they launched into praising the president and his merits. it baffles me that this relationship has political connotations for everyone. david is a cop. he's a glorified security guard. his job doesn't change with the administration. it would have been his duty to protect kerry just as much as it's now his duty to protect bush. and yet the fact that i'm with him causes people to assume things about my political views.

and maybe that's what i'm really driving at with this post: the fact that people assume things about your political views based on things that have nothing to do with politics. we assume christians are a certain kind of conservative, just because they go to church. we assume people with dreds are liberal. if someone is concerned with social justice, then he must also be pro-abortion.

i do it too. i'm reacting against myself.

 
At 4:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Michelle, I swear blind to you that I knew all along you were a republican. Seriously.

Thanks for the site link - the album's out in October all going well!

 
At 11:50 AM, Blogger J. R. Daniel Kirk said...

The bit about women's voice, etc. made me wonder: Have you ever read Growing Strong Daughters? It's by Lisa Graham McMinn.

I think that my referencing this book makes me a flaming liberal feminist. I need to add that to my CV...

 
At 11:53 AM, Blogger michelle said...

haven't read the book, but thanks for the recommendation.

i've been hoping to post more on feminism sometime soon. but you're right--you've now officially joined the ranks of flaming feminism. welcome.

 
At 8:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i did too!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home