Wednesday, June 08, 2005

a moment for countercultural props for the box

my generation doesn't like boxes. in fact, we make a very big deal out of how much we hate boxes--how limiting, confining, restricting they are. we're so much more individual and free-spirited than boxes let us be.

generally speaking, i don't like boxes any more than the next postmodern. but i do want to take a moment to defend personality tests, which i've heard criticized several times over the last couple of weeks.

to be fair, a lot of the criticism is wise and valid. there is a danger in personality tests being interpreted by lay people. there is a temptation to excuse sin on the basis of it being part of your personality. and it's even possible to define yourself by your personality and thereby limit your abilities and excuse yourself from challenges. and of course, the limitation of personality tests is that they really only tell you what you already know--or think you know--about yourself.

so the reason that i want to defend them isn't because they're flawless, but because in my life, the boxes of personality tests have set me free. american culture tells you that you have to be extraverted to be successful--you have to be able to jump from one thing to the next, juggle a thousand responsibilities and invest in a million relationships. american christian culture tells you that women are supposed to be soft and fuzzy, slightly irrational, but tender-hearted. being critical--especially as a woman--is as good as being a prostitute. being indecisive is a weakness, and a sign that you don't have enough faith. in some places it's frivolous to be visionary. in others, it's a shame to be bogged down in details.

the reason that i'm a fan of the meyers-briggs personality test is that it helped me to see that God created me as an analytical, indecisive introvert for his own glory. and he looks on me with love--not as an egregious failure. it's helped me to see the good things about my personality, and to stop beating myself up for being so unable to live up to societal expectations. it's helped me understand that when i love people, it looks more like a sword than a teddy bear.

that's not to say that i don't sin in those areas as well. i do. i hide from people and criticize them instead of love them. and i make an idol out of the ability to make right decisions. i have as much to repent of as a decisive extravert. but let me repent of my sin, and not of my personality.

3 Comments:

At 10:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The big difficulty with personality tests is that the so called experts cant agree on what tests to use and there seems to be a growing concensus that the tests dont work for all people.

I think your presentation is very fair and accurate. The major problems I have with the tests is that:
1)as Christians we often make catagory mistakes and make personality tests part of Truth and therefore untouchable
2) making something part of personality makes it impossible to change which has bad results when things which are not part of personality become seen as personality instead of habitual patterns that can be changed.

As you say, being careful is essential.

 
At 3:16 AM, Blogger Dan Passerelli said...

Thanks Michelle. You've restored some of my faith in the tests - but more than that, you've shown how Jesus is redeeming all things for himself - both you, and the tests that helped set you free.
And who says pomos have nothing constructive to say?

 
At 5:58 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

What I love about these tests is how people think they are somehow magic. People get all excited, like, "All I had to do was answer all its questions and then it told me my answers to all its questions!!!" Tell it you like Potatoes, Carrots, Lettuce, and Garlic and lo and behold you're a PCLG! And I am very much entertained by the belief in the social science that grouping people into categories by survey responses and labeling the categories is equivalent to learning something about human nature.

I agree with tokenirish about the dangers of removing the moral element from things by calling them personality traits.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home